Saturday, August 29, 2009

Courting ~ Day 1

Well, it's more than a month later and I've finally gotten around to posting my courtship pictures. If you read our courtship story (Read HERE) then I don't have to explain that Russell traveled all the way from Panama City, FL, to Amsterdam, The Netherlands, to ask me in person if he could court me. I received the surprise of my life in more ways than one! First, his visit came as a complete surprise. Second, I never in a million years thought Russell was coming to ask to court me. He spent a week with me, so there are more pictures to follow. (I'm going to have a list on my sidebar of all the important posts regarding Russell's and my relationship so it's easier for everyone to keep up. Look under "Russell & Hannah.")



Tuesday, July 14, 2009

A glorious sunrise heralding the dawn of a glorious day! Lydia took this picture at 6:00am, just before my family kelt down and prayed together for Russell and me in Dad's office and then went to wake me up with the news that Russell was arriving in Holland that very morning.



Getting ready to head to the airport. Do I look nervous? As I got ready for the day I kept saying things like, "He's going to run the other direction... My hair turned out horrible today. Should I wear these shoes? I look ugly!" And Mom had a soothing response for everything I said. Thank God for moms!!!


Having parked the van, we noticed our family's reflection in the windows of the airport. A unique picture!


Russell and me walking through the airport together. It was so wonderful to see Russell again after 9 long months of waiting and secrecy! I felt sick while we waited for him and Bro. Buddy to get their luggage and come through the gate. As soon as I saw Russell everything was okay.


Russell wasted no time! He went into the bathroom not much after they walked into the house. After making a ton of noise (he was unpacking his gift, but I was wondering what on earth he was doing), he came out with something that just about threw me for a loop. We had all been talking. Then suddenly everyone turned to look at the doorway. There was Russell...and he was holding a bear! A very cute bear that was dressed like a prince and holding a silk pillow with a glass shoe on it. In the glass shoe was the most beautiful ring I had ever laid eyes on--a heart-shaped garnet with two small diamonds on either side, set on a perfect-width gold band.

On a side note, I wonder who came up with that? Kinda funny. It's a common thing for girls to have bears. However, you won't catch a guy with a bear unless he has an important question to ask. Maybe it's a security thing. The guy thinks the girl will see the bear and feel all warm and fuzzy inside and that will make her say yes like he wants her to. (chuckle)

Russell acted like the bear had something to say to me. Then he said the bear was a little tongue-tied at the moment, so he would do the talking. In this picture he had just sat down and told me that he asked my dad's permission to court me and he had his approval. Then he concluded, "So, now I’m just here to ask you personally. With your permission, can I court you?" (The poor guy was so nervous!)



I said "yes." Then I lowered my head in disbelief. Could this be real? And Russell smiled...I think for the first time, looking a little less apprehensive.



Then there was the soft sound of laughter from both our families. Russell and I both laughed a little bit too. I was happy!


Accepting the bear.



Slipping the ring on my finger and looking at Mom. "Does it go on this hand?" Just making sure! Here in Holland people wear their engagement/wedding rings on their right hand.



Showing off my gorgeous ring! Garnet is my birthstone and how fitting that it should be in the shape of a heart!



Passing Prince Charming for his inspection.


Meet Prince Charming. Isn't he....charming in all his princely finery? (chuckle)



Admiring the ring.








Then later on Russell gave me this enormous bear. Bro. Buddy called him "Russell Bear" at one point, so that's what I decided to name him. Russell Bear. =)



Russell Bear and me. (This picture was actually taken several days after Russell left and I was lonely for him.)



My three guys.



We went for a walk together before dinner. It was an unusually warm day. Russell and Bro. Buddy brought their hot Florida temperatures with them, much to Russell's disappointment.


After dinner Lyd, Joe, Russell, and I went on a bike ride through the fields. I thought this picture was very fitting. Russell and I have embarked on a journey together...and who knows what's around the next bend in the road. Only the Lord knows, and by His grace we will make it through!

See Russell's picture post (HERE).

3 comments:

Naomi Ungry said...

Oh, Hannah, that was so wonderful!!! Pictures say so much more than words can! Thank you bunches for sharing them. It blessed my heart so much. Seeing the joy and love in your eyes brought tears to my own. Our Lord is wonderful! So wonderful.

I thought the photos of Bro. Russell preaching were pretty special--wish I could hear him give the Word myself! The Lord has given you such a fine, Godly young man! Praise His Name!!!

And the pictures taken at McDonald's--too cute! I loved them!

Thank you again, sister. They made me so very happy.

Love ya!

Naomi

Unknown said...

Hello Hannah! I don't think you know me but I have been following your blog for a while now. I am a stay at home wife and mother, KJV Bible reader and an Independent Baptist. I am friends with the Lymans, who attend the Maynards church. It has been a blessing to follow your journey with Russell. I have to admit, I was a little confused when you said you were courting, yet have a wedding date set. But, your post on courting helped set that one straight! I courted my hubby for 6 months and we were engaged for 5 months before marrying.(We lived in the same state though. :) ) We have been married now for 3 years on November 4th and have a beautiful one year old daughter, Hannah Grace! (Hannah is a very nice name, don't you think?) Hee Hee. Anyway, enough rambling. I would like to link your blog to mine so I can keep up with you, if that would be OK. God Bless you!!!

Blessings,
Sally Owen

corpus42 said...

I love the posts, Hannah! Those pictures will never get old. Excelent idea with the sidebar. I have a feeling that will be in use. (wasntme) =D

I have to say.....even though you did not feel that well.....Day 3 when we went kayaking was the best!!! In truth I could do it all again and again and again and never get tired of it. God is sooooooo good!

I love you and I am praying for you!
~~
Russell